What is Electron Beam Melting (EBM) ?
Electron beam melting is one of the Powder bed fusion technologies, in which metal powder is melted and fused together layer by layer using high electron beam. Powder bed fusion is one of the 7 types of Additive manufacturing technologies.
Electron beam melting is a proprietary additive manufacturing technology from Arcam, a GE Additive company.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electron Beam Melting
Like any manufacturing process, EBM has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Electron Beam Melting
- Geometric freedom for engineering product designers
- Minimum material waste
- Less tooling and set up costs
- Residual stress reduction due to increased process temperature
- Oxidation reduction due to vacuum environment
Disadvantages of Electron Beam Melting
- Commercially available material are limited
- Surface finish similar to sand casting
- Needs full understanding to get the full benefit of the process
How does the Electron beam melting work?
Refer to 12 step ” how Powder bed fusion works?”