What is Electron Beam Melting (EBM)?
Electron beam melting is one of the Powder bed fusion technologies, in which metal powder is melted and fused together layer by layer using a high electron beam. Powder bed fusion is one of the 7 types of Additive manufacturing technologies.
Electron beam melting is a proprietary additive manufacturing technology from Arcam, a GE Additive company.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electron Beam Melting
Like any manufacturing process, EBM has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Electron Beam Melting
- Geometric freedom for engineering product designers
- Minimum material waste
- Less tooling and set up costs
- Residual stress reduction due to increased process temperature
- Oxidation-reduction due to vacuum environment
Disadvantages of Electron Beam Melting
- Commercially available material are limited
- Surface finish similar to sand casting
- Needs full understanding to get the full benefit of the process
How does the Electron beam melting work?
Refer to 12 step ” how Powder bed fusion works?”